Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sketchbook Friday: Street Artist Shaman


I helped start the Creative Community Coalition in Portland, Maine after the city started cracking down on street artists by attempting to impose ridiculous restrictions. Many of the restrictions included mandatory registration, booth size requirements, minimun proximity to businesses and banning street artists from certain parts and sidewalk widths. Protect Portland's Creative Community on Facebook has been gathering many supporters of our issue and we have been to many city hall meetings fighting this issue. We are currently meeting members of city hall and talking to businesses in the area about the issue. During the last city hall hearing I drew the street artist shaman on my notes. I figured he was artistically summoned to help us spiritually cleanse during the period of time when the city hall completely ignored over 60 testimonies from artists and supporters from the community. We have been gaining steam ever since. The local newspaper even took our side recently and posted a very positive article about our group:

Abbeth Russell, William Hessian, Marrion Ladd, Asher Platts

Each Friday at noon I scan in one new sketch or drawing from one of my many sketchbooks. Many times my sketches are ideas for larger projects that you might find on my fine art website William Hessian dot com, or as projects right here on my Bearded Bunny art blog. If you enjoy these sketches make sure to also see my Favorite 20 sketches from 2011 or go back and check out all of the sketchbook friday posts.

If you want to own some of my work, you can always find great deals on my artwork and stickers at my Etsy shop.  Do not forget to subscribe to my blog and never miss another post.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...