Monday, March 16, 2009

100 miniatures preview: extremely small art



My most recent art show features my miniatures. Here is the brief statement:

Artist William Hessian has become known for creating artworks on a miniature scale. Over 100 of his miniatures have been hidden and collected in free public art hunts across the United States. This exhibition, 100 miniature animals, is the first time the miniatures are being displayed in a traditional gallery setting. William has chosen to explore 100 creature from the animal kingdom on an amazingly small scale; one inch by once and a half inches small (see below for photos).
William Hessian has performed four miniature buffalo hunts in Jamestown, North Dakota; as well as art hunts in California, Portland, Minneapolis and Salt Lake City. Hessian's mixed media miniatures are known for there bright colors, saturated palette and minute details. "Working in miniature gives me a challenge to effectively portray each animal with great detail and vigor; I never use it as an excuse to skimp or cut corners," William says. The 100 miniatures juxtapoz the daunting white walls of the gallery, and invites you to get close, and challenge your own sense of scale.


Thanks to the Jamestown Art Center. I am in the process of uploading all the images and adding the gallery to my website. Although, 100 images is a lot of work, as I found out when trying to post the 107 pictures of the Billy Vs Matt: Sledding Art Gallery which you should see if you have not already.

Nothing like animal art at such a small scale. It was a fun show to create. I am currently looking for another gallery space to hang the show, anywhere in the world. If you know a gallery that might be interested in hanging and featuring the animal world of miniatures please let me know.


scorpion


jellyfish



bat (remember these works are 1 inch by 1.5 inches small

2 comments:

Took said...

Wow -- I would seriously love to try to bring this exhibition to my area, William!

Kris said...

Very cool. I can't wait to see the rest of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...