Thursday, April 1, 2010

my dad's favorite word



This comic goes up today, since my dad just retired from his US postal service job. I guess there is no more mailman in my family. Congratulation to him.

I do remember the first time my dad started using this word, I thought it was a nonsensical word, and in the two days it took him to prove it to me that donnybrook was truly a word he had a lot of fun using in every possible way.

Donnybrook's meaning is:

an inordinately wild fight or contentious dispute; brawl; free-for-all.

In the next few month I heard the word all over the place, basketball games, golf tournaments, etc. I still think it is a very odd word, and laugh anytime I hear it.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

I assume the etymology relates to a bully named Donny Brook.

William Hessian said...

haha!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the cool webcomic! It was wise of you to be kind in your drawing of me, or else there would have been a donnybrook between us!

Povertee said...

Congrats Jay on all your future freetime! Now you have tons of time to get into donnybrooks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...