Friday, April 11, 2014

Killing Sponge Bob: Sketchbook Friday




I love listening to podcasts. Today I was listening to a podcast about How to Make Comics, and it discussed being skilled at drawing and painting quickly. It inspired me to use my watercolor to create something very quickly, and see what came out. The strokes and odd anatomy was a pleasurable surprise and the interesting use of color change was also fun for me. The end result gave me a similar feeling to the 24 Hour comic marathons I used to do with friends back in Minnesota. Adam Hafermann and Gordon Yates were usually there with me. It was also a very fun and intoxicating challenge to create so much content in such a short amount of time, and be on the hook for an entire 24 page story from start to end within only 24 hours. I think I feeling the itch to do this again here in Portland, Maine. I should start reaching out to local comic book artists and see if we can't drum up an event.

The story behind the name "Killing Sponge Bob" came at work when someone came up to me to ask what this character was doing, and since I did not know what he was doing I asked him, "What do you think he is doing?" and his answer; as you probably already guessed was: looks like he is killing sponge bob. I thought it was a strange comment to make, and then he walked away smiling.

Each Friday at noon I scan in one new sketch or drawing from one of my many sketchbooks. Many times my sketches are ideas for larger projects that you might find on my fine art website William Hessian dot com, or as projects right here on my Bearded Bunny art blog. If you enjoy these sketches make sure to also see all of the sketchbook friday posts.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...