Friday, June 13, 2014

Bird Worm Picasso Matisse: Sketchbook Friday




I've always been fascinated by the parallel careers of Pablo Picasso and Henri Matisse. I got to teach students in North Dakota all about how their work challenged and influenced each other as they both emerged as famous painters. The simplicity and boldness of Matisse's shapes and colors and Picasso's inventiveness and childlike freedom went hand in hand. Often if I sit down to paint without any ideas before me I find myself often thinking of both of these artists as I scribble away. Bird Worm is the creation this day, the shapes and colors come from many different places, but it is an exploration of fun and experimentation. What do you think?

Each Friday at noon I scan in one new sketch or drawing from one of my many sketchbooks. Many times my sketches are ideas for larger projects that you might find on my fine art website William Hessian dot com, or as projects right here on my Bearded Bunny art blog. If you enjoy these sketches make sure to also see all of the sketchbook friday posts.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...